Wednesday, September 23, 2026

The Appetizer

 09/02/26


I got it in my head in early September that I had to hike Mt. Timpanogos. It's ultra-prominent, beautiful, somewhat famous amongst the Utah locals and there's a trail that leads all the way to the top. C'mon now! With stats like that I just had to check it out. Plus, I'm nearing the end of my season here in the west and I only have a few weekends left to do stuff so I figured I might as well get after it while I still can. That and a whole bunch of other things. September has been crunch time; like I mentioned in the previous post, I've done quite a bit these past few weeks. Just been trying to finish up as much as I can before I head back east.

So I got it in my head that I had to hike Mt. Timpanogos and a bunch of other things as well. Cooked up a mighty crazy plan for the weekend; a full course meal. I'd split it into three days, starting with an appetizer hike on the afternoon of the 2nd, the main course of Timpanogos on the 3rd, and a dessert stroll on the 4th. Organizing it that way helped me condense what I had planned into something manageable. Whether I'd be able to actually eat the whole meal was to be determined. I ain't no competitive eater, and what I'd created seemed to be the ultimate food challenge. 

So I got off work and immediately drove up the I-15 to Provo, my legs itchin' for the taste of some dirt and pines and vert and such. In my brief research of the area, I discovered a peak known as "Y Mountain" which seemed to me to be the perfect appetizer. Short, somewhat steep, trail all the way to the top. Yep. Seemed like the perfect way to warm up the legs for the monster main course I had planned for the following morning. 

The "Y" on the way to Y Mountain

I left the freeway and drove past the college, lots of people out and about, busy, busy, busy. Got to the trailhead and found me a spot. Hopped out the car, stretched the legs, looked up at the mountain rising in front of me. Dang. This would be quite the appetizer. Hopefully it wouldn't spoil my appetite. 

And so I set off on the trail, hikin' past a few college kids also makin' their way up. I quickly discovered the trail to be super steep, gaining about a 1,000ft per mile. Yowch. Oh well. I wasn't gonna stop. Like the potstickers at a hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant, I couldn't help but to keep eatin', biting off vert one major switchback at a time. 

Eventually, after many a monstrous switchback and many a motivational sign posted at each monstrous switchback, I made it to the top of the namesake "Y" of which the mountain is named. Lots of folks up there sittin' on the benches, waitin' for the comin' sunset. 

Without stopping, I hooked a right and continued my feast of vert, now hikin' up the Slide Canyon Trail into the scenic, forested Slide Canyon. Up and up, through pines and bushes and aspens and a brown, dry meadow, I continued along, picking up the pace a bit. I'd started this appetizer just after 6pm so I didn't have a whole lot of daylight left to complete it before sundown. Plus, I'd stupidly left my headlamp in the car and I'm a wee bit scared of hikin' in the dark all by my lonesome, so suffice it to say, I had plenty of motivation to get me to the top lickety-split. 

Looking down Slide Canyon

I reached a junction, hooked a left, and banged out the last little bit remaining between me and the summit. No switchbacks, no relief of any kind in this section. Just up. But hey, at least the scenery was pretty. Gotta love that.

And I reached the top in a puff and a wheeze, the views fantastic, the high peaks of the Wasatch rising to the north and east, the electric circuit board of civilization sprawling to the west. Didn't find no benchmark or register of any kind up there, but that's ok. Sometimes it be like that.

And so I lingered for a minute or two, snapped some photos of the scenery, absorbed the essence of the summit, took a whiz, you know, all that kooky stuff. And then I said my goodbyes and set off down the trail to check out the slightly shorter, western peak, just to see if it was any different. 


Provo Peak on the left 

Mt. Nebo out there

And wouldn't yah know it, the views there were slightly different than those on the main summit! How terribly exciting! In all honesty I don't really know why I made the effort to climb up there. But then again, why does one willingly consume the last potsticker even when they know it will ruin their appetite? Perhaps my brain had used the potsticker logic when it made the decision to check out the west summit. Or maybe I'm just plain stupid...

View from the west summit


I could see the parking lot down below. Far, far below. Dang. I may have bitten of more than I could chew on this one. Sure I'd be fine for the rest of the night, but for tomorrow...how much would this appetizer ruin the main course? Best not to worry. I'd sleep it off. Yep. That would do the trick.

And so I set off down the trail, jogging most of the way in order to beat the steady creep of the earth's shadow. Saw a lone dude hikin' up the trail when I got back to Slide Canyon. No pack, no water, just a T-shirt, shorts, and headphones. I stepped aside to let him pass. "Going all the way to the top?" said I. "Yessir" he replied. "Good luck" I said. "Thanks brother." He'd be walkin' back in the dark. No question. But I suppose he knew that. Shoot, I bet he was planning on it. What can I say. Some people out there actually enjoy walking in the pitch black darkness of night in the woods all by themselves. Why they do that, I couldn't fathom. Them's built different. 

Headin back...



Back at the "Y"

I eventually reached the top of the "Y," joined the throngs of folks sittin' on the benches watchin' the sunset. College students, little kids and their parents, old folks, middle-aged folks, folks flying a drone, folks talking loudly, folks barely whispering—everyone was there. 

And so I joined them in the evening's festivities of sitting down and watching the sunset and once it was over—zip zam zoop—I was out of there. Hopped in the car, massaged my achin' legs. I thought the hike would be no longer than three miles. It was closer to seven, with over 3,000ft of elevation gain to boot. Dang. What an appetizer. 


Starving, I drove to the nearest In-N-Out, windows down, the night perfectly cool and calm. And I ordered me a burger and a shake and then drove up to the Aspen Grove Trailhead where I promptly set up my pad and bag and settled in for a long night of restless tossin' and turnin'. Had a big day planned for the next morning. Hopefully my legs would be up for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment